Thursday, October 27, 2016

[Beer Review] Weyerbacher - Imperial Pumpkin Ale

Time for another beer review! Sorry about missing last weeks (to all 2 of my fans out there :P), I didn't feel well for most of the week, so was worried about not having a clean taste pallet.


Weyerbacher - Imperial Pumpkin Ale


This beer pours with a pleasant aroma of nutmeg and cinnamon. The carbonation is light and I didn't get a very good head out of the pour. That may be on me as I did not pour it very vigorously.


The color is a deep semi thick copper color. Reminds me of the color of a good maple syrup poured over waffles. Taking a drink of this ale gives you a light and crisp mouthfeel which you would not expect from the coloration. It leaves a film on your tongue that will not bad, was very different, I am not sure how I feel about it.



This beer is brewed with nutmeg, cinnamon, cardamom and clove. The cardamom is very strong and very forward. Upon swallowing there is a bit of bitter that lingers in the back of your throat. The cardamom stays on your tongue, it may be part of the coating I mentioned earlier.
It seems that the clove just isn't there at all until you stop sipping for a bit. Then it peeks out and lingers just a little before hiding again underneath the cardamom upon your next sip.
The bitterness lingers at the back of your tongue and the cardamom is just too overpowering. Out of the fridge it may go well with something sweet, but I wouldn't pair it with anything savory.

I took a chance and decided to let it sit, breathe and get to room temperature. That's the neat thing about beer. Just like wine and liquor, it can change taste depending on how long it is in contact with air and how cold or warm it is.

Turns out it was a good idea! This beer is much better at room temperature. The overpowering cardamom is replaced with the combo of nutmeg, cinnamon and just a little nip of clove. The cardamom is still there but it's part of the taste and mixes well.

I'm going to find this beer again and give it a shot in full at room temperature. I'll write up an additional mini review once I do.


Weyerbacher's Imperial Pumpkin Ale
8% ABV

21 IBUs

You can find Weyerbacher online here and on Facebook here

Beer reviews are done by Josh! Thank you so much for guest posting on these. 

No comments:

Post a Comment